Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dragons and Sketching

I've been trying to continue with doing some gesture figure drawing every day. Even if its only 1 drawing, just to still do it every day. One day I pushed myself to do 50 of them, but on average I strive for about 10-20 per day. Now I'm using them as a warm-up exercise before jumping into the more enjoyable sketching/drawing/painting. I know a bunch of professional illustrators do something similar and I can already see why. It keeps the brain on track with the human figure, as well as gives your artistic mind a wake up call to say "Hey! We're going to draw now! Wake-up!"

Here's what I've got to show for.




2 comments:

  1. Keep it up man. It may help to consider mass instead of contour when doing these. Your lines will become more confident and your proportions snap together quicker. Burne Hogarthe's Dynamic Figure drawing and Anthony Ryder's Figure drawing books are a good resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stu! I'll look into the books. See if I can get ahold of them. I've been looking for some good art "instruction" books.

    ReplyDelete