Monday, August 30, 2010

Panda Progress


As I've started to come to a more solid looking Panda, I wanted to sketch out ideas for the little girl. It took a while to understand the features of a young girl, seeing as I haven't drawn one before. So I gathered a lot of photo reference and then started to draw from them. A few turned out ok. Here's what I have for the concept sketch of the little girl for now. Any critiquing advice is welcome.


As for the Panda, he's coming along quite well. There's a lot to him so I'm just now starting to zone in and start working on some of the details. It's nice to see his muzzle and parts of his face finally taking the form. Still quite a bit of work ahead of me.

2 comments:

  1. Stay away from fuzzy brushes! (at least til the very end)

    And check the cast shadows from the panda. You don't want it looking like its covered in a grey-halo. (I think that according to your lighting on the panda, it wouldn't actually cast a shadow on the wall at all).

    Sweet blue tones though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arthur! I wasn't using fuzzy brushes intentionally. I was just using the softness factor to get a good color blend. It's going to have details of rust all over the panda anyway, so it will detract the fuzziness.

    I didn't intend to create a cast shadow on the wall. It was just some effect I was trying to use to get him to pop out more. I guess I'll just flatten it to just straight grey on the back then. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete